Monday, January 19, 2009

book list for 2009

The Last Wednesday Bookclub has set the reading list for 2009.

Edited to update on the January book -
We had the January meeting here at my place and the book - Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert provoked a lot of discussion, with people loving it or hating it. I was a bit in-between - I felt it difficult to relate to the author even though we had been through a similar traumatic marriage break-up. Having children, the liberty to run away just doesn't exist sadly.

The books for the remainder of the year are:

The Cure for Modern Life
Lisa Tucker

Atonement
Ian McEwan

The Secret Life of Bees
Sue Monk Kidd

The Slap
Christos Tsiolkas

When Gaston met Doris

Anne of Green Gables (2009 is the 50th anniversary of the release of AOGG)
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Infidlel
Ayaan Hirsi

Uncle Tom's Cabin
Harriet Beecher Stowe

Girls Like Us
Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon

The Young Widows Book of Home Improvement
Virginia Lloyd

To Kill a Mockingbird
Harper Lee

We have a great list this year and I'm looking forward to getting all of them read. I used to be a voracious reader, but these days I find it hard to just get through my book club books unless I am going through a period of travelling frequently for work.

1 comment:

Lily Mulholland said...

I loved Atonement. I hope you do too.