Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My favourite cook book

The Moosewood Cookbook is one of my very favourite cookbooks. It was in fact one of the first cookbooks that I ever owned myself. We always used Mum's Margaret Fulton book for 'regular' things like burnt butter biscuits. My Aunty Deb had a Moosewood Cookbook and the Enchanted Broccoli Forest. I remember looking through her copies of these books, dreaming about going to New York and sitting in the Moosewood restaurant!. I can't remember who I got my copy of Moosewood from, but it is a much loved book, and one that I often thumb through for inspiration.


This vegetarian book is beautiful, with gorgeous hand written text and special hand drawn illustrations (no food stylist photographs) and special recipes like "Lovely Sesame Sauce" and "montana's Mum's Dynamite chocolate cake". I love the directions such as "season it according to your nature, and stuff the shells generously and with love."


It was originally published in 1977, but I have the 'revised' edition which Mollie Katzen rewrote in the early '90s with leaner recipes. Apparently MOOSEWOOD was listed by the New York Times as one of the top ten best-selling cookbooks of all time, and no wonder!I have given this book as a gift many times, and hope that those I give it to love it just as much as I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, this book was a staple of a shared household I was in in the early 90s.
Now though instead of yearning to eat at the Mosewood restaurant in New York, I long to eat Chez Panisse - Alice waters